Here we are at the end of the series – Women Changing the World Part 4. There are so many incredible women changing the world that this series could last for years and years!. However, I know you have gotten my point – YOU are a woman changing the world. If you love Jesus and are willing to reach out to others in love, that’s all you need! Also, you know that God has given you everything you need to accomplish His will for your life. He would never ask you to do something without giving you all the tools to accomplish it!
“His divine power has given us everything we need to experience life and to reflect God’s true nature through the knowledge of the One who called us by His glory and virtue.” 2 Peter 1:3 The Voice Emphasis is mine.
Stepping Out in Faith
In this last section, you will meet Leeann Fox (her real name), and Harriet Beecher Stowe. Both women stepped out by faith into unknown territory. Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote Uncle Tom’s Cabin which was a tremendously controversial book. She and her husband took in runaway slaves and her book exposed the plight of many of the slaves at that time. Some applauded her and others called her a fraud, hypocrite and worse. Lincoln is said to have referred to her as, “that little woman who wrote the book that started this great war.” That is quite a statement. One book brought her fame and great derision, but she wrote it out of her conviction that people must be awakened to the terrible treatment of the slaves. She stepped into a new frontier.
Leeann also stepped into a new frontier. Leeann saw the internet as a place where the gospel could be spread around the world and where people who were searching for answers could find Jesus even when they weren’t really looking for Him. She studied and worked and has become a teacher, helping others to blog with excellence. While the term ‘blogger’ may not mean much to you, I want you to know that there is an army of women who are blogging about Jesus every single day and they are literally reaching the world! I am one of them. I have followers in foreign countries! That is something I never dreamed would happen. These women strive for excellence and work diligently at presenting the truths of the Word in a form which helps others to see the love of God.
Dealing With Backlash Can Cause us to Focus on the Negative
There can be backlash from everything we do. It came to Harriet Beecher Stowe and it has come to Leeann. However, the blessings are also there. You may have experienced it in your life. Sometimes, we face backlash because we are Christians. At other times, you can simply be sharing an encouraging word online and receive some very ugly comments. Unfortunately, the internet has made some feel that, because you can’t see them, they can be as cruel as they wish to be. The great thing is that we don’t have to fight fire with fire. We fight fire with water straight from the river of God’s love!
We can stay positive no matter what others may do. That’s true in every area of our lives. Sometimes it can be hard to stay positive. When things are going wrong in our lives, it’s easy to be overwhelmed by the negative and lose sight of the positive. Think of what it would have been like to be Harriet Beecher Stowe! I can’t imagine. Thankfully, she was somewhat insulated simply because people did not have the instant access to her that we have to each other today. Today, however, we are bombarded by information, appeals, negative declarations, and statements of fear everyday via all types of media – television, internet, radio, and newspapers.
How Can You Maintain a Positive Attitude? The Word of God
So how can we maintain a positive attitude? Simple – through the Word of God. God is a positive thinker! He is positive about Himself, you and everything there is! He also understands that we struggle, so He gave us His Word. Philippians 2:1-24, The Voice, is filled with steps of which obedience which lead to a positive lifestyle.
“If you find any comfort from being in the Anointed, if His love brings you some encouragement, if you experience true companionship with the Spirit, if His tenderness and mercy fill your heart;”
Verse 1 alone has 4 tips for staying positive:
- Find (seek out) comfort in the knowledge that you are in Christ, the Anointed One.
- Allow His love to encourage you.
- Experience true companionship with the Holy Spirit.
- Let God’s tenderness and mercy fill your heart.
Verse 2 has 2 more tips – 6 so far.
“then, brothers and sisters, here is one thing that would complete my joy—come together as one in mind and spirit and purpose, sharing in the same love.”
- Come together with other believers in unity – one mind, one Spirit, and one purpose.
- Share the same love – God’s love
Verse 3 – 3 more ways to stay positive = 9
“Don’t let selfishness and prideful agendas take over. Embrace true humility, and lift your heads to extend love to others.”
- Don’t let selfishness and prideful agendas take over your life.
- Embrace true humility. False humility does nothing for you or anyone else.
- Lift up your heads, look around and see who you can extend love to.
Verse 4 – 3 more = 12
“Get beyond yourselves and protecting your own interests; be sincere, and secure your neighbors’ interests first.”
- Get over yourself. One translations says, “Don’t merely look out for your own personal interests.” When we focus on ourselves, self-centeredness will drag us down. Get beyond yourself and protecting your own interests by putting others first.
- Be sincere. False humility and religion is soon exposed.
- Secure your neighbor’s interests first. Regard as others as being more important than you are.
Verse 5 – now we have 14.
“In other words, adopt the mind-set of Jesus the Anointed. Live with His attitude in your hearts.”
- What was Jesus’ mindset? The next few verses tell you and this makes it clear that we are to adopt it. In addition, remember that you have the mind of Christ.
- Live – really live out – His attitude beginning in your heart.
Verses 6 -11 – give us 3 more which = 17
“Though He was in the form of God, He chose not to cling to equality with God; But He poured Himself out to fill a vessel brand new; a servant in form and a man indeed. The very likeness of humanity,
He humbled Himself, obedient to death— a merciless death on the cross!
So God raised Him up to the highest place and gave Him the name above all.
So when His name is called, every knee will bow, in heaven, on earth, and below.
And every tongue will confess “Jesus, the Anointed One, is Lord, ”to the glory of God our Father!“
- Jesus gave up all of His rights. He did it for everyone, including the ones who mocked and rejected Him. This is true humility and sacrifice. He is our example.
- He died for us. We are to die to ourselves so that we may live in Him.
- His is the only name in heaven or earth to which all will bow. This keeps our perspective where it should be – bowed before our Savior.
Verse 12 – The points contained here are comprehensive and indicate a need to maintain our positive attitude for a lifetime! This gives us 19.
“So now, my beloved, obey as you have always done, not only when I am with you, but even more so when I can’t be. Continue to work out your salvation, with great fear and trembling,”
- Be obedient to Christ’s commands. He gave us a new commandment – to love one another as He loved us. We don’t just obey when others are looking. We obey even more when no one sees.
- Work out your salvation with great fear and trembling. What does that mean? John McArthur says this, “Work out translates a present middle imperative of katergazomai and indicates a command that has a continuing emphasis. The idea is, “Keep on working out to completion, to ultimate fulfillment.” Heauton, here rendered your, actually has the more emphatic meaning of “your own.” The command is for believers to make a continuing, sustained effort to work out to ultimate completion their salvation, which has been graciously granted to them by God through their faith in Jesus Christ.” Remember your own weaknesses and let that compel you forward in obedience each day.
Verse 13 – takes away all our excuses and shows us how incredibly generous God is and = 20
“because God is energizing you so that you will desire and do what always pleases Him.”
- What an awesome verse! God doesn’t just ask you to obey and continue forward, He energizes you so that you can succeed! God is literally active inside you, energizing you to do His good pleasure, to please Him. We are truly without excuse when it comes to obeying and staying in God’s will.
Verses 14 – 18 makes 24
“Do all things without complaining or bickering with each other, so you will be found innocent and blameless; you are God’s children called to live without a single stain on your reputations among this perverted and crooked generation. Shine like stars across the land. Cling to the word of life so that on the day of judgment when the Anointed One returns I may have reason to rejoice, because it will be plain that I didn’t turn from His mission nor did I work in vain. Even if my lifeblood is to be poured out like wine as a sacrifice of your faith, I have great reason to celebrate with all of you. And for the same reason, you can be glad and celebrate with me.”
- Do not complain or fight with each other. By refraining from this, you will be found innocent, blameless and won’t have any stains on your reputations in the eyes of a perverted and crooked generation.
- Shine – let the light of Christ shine out through your life.
- Cling to the word of life. You will then have reason to rejoice when Christ returns and others will rejoice as they see the fruit in your life.
- Be glad and celebrate.
24 Steps to Stay Positive
There you are – 24 steps to apply in your life to stay positive. Now, here is #25 also from Philippians 4:8, The Voice:
“Finally, brothers and sisters, fill your minds with beauty and truth. Meditate on whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is good, whatever is virtuous and praiseworthy.”
The mind which is set on God is peace – Isaiah 26:3
If you are at peace, you definitely have a positive attitude and outlook. There can be chaos all around, yet you are at peace and positive. God does not ask us to believe that bad things are good. What we must do is believe that He is good no matter what the circumstances are. No matter what, we are positive that God’s goodness will carry us through. As a good friend of mine said, “Our faith is not the answer, it is in the goodness of God no matter what.”
Harriet Beecher Stowe had a hope that someday slavery would end along with the mistreatment. She knew that God’s goodness would prevail and this enabled her to bravely step out.
Leeann is positive that the gospel must be spread and that we can use the tools and gifts He has given us to shed His light in dark places, bringing hope to the hopeless.
Women Changing the World
You – my dear world-changing women of God – are a force that cannot be ignored. You have power – God’s. Each of us can change our part of the world. We can change our selves, our home, our family, our friends, and our acquaintances. Then, each of those people can change their part of the world. It goes on and on – an unbroken chain of people changing the world.
You matter. Your voice is being heard. You are making a difference. So don’t stop!
You can click below and download the 24 Tips to Stay Positive for free. In addition, you can download the free E-Book, Women Changing the World!
Click the image to download a free copy of 24 Steps to Stay Positive. Also, be sure to download the free E-Book – Women Changing the World!
You might also enjoy reading: